Monday, August 22, 2005

Dividend Aristocrats

S & P regularly tracks a list of stocks that it calls "Dividend Aristocrats" - companies that have regularly upped their dividends for 25 or more consecutive years. Business has recently posted an article that lists the stocks here. As of this list, Merck is still on the list and that makes me feel a little more comfortable holding this dog in my portfolio, given the worries I expresses in this post.

Please note that I have updated my portfolio values on the left. Take a look - I am $1000 closer to my goal since my last update.

2 Comments:

Blogger savingadvice said...

Have you read anything on the sustainability of Merck's dividend?
I've been keeping my eye on them and PFE because of the big yields. I know that Merck generates a nice amount of free cash flow, but I'm curious as to what the analysts think about the future.

8/23/2005 05:38:00 PM  
Blogger My Personal Hedge Fund said...

According to Value Line's July 22, 2005 report on Merck, they say that investors, "stand to earn a relatively secure dividend yield of about 5% while waiting for the legal dust to settle." See the report at http://www.valueline.com/dow30/index.aspx. Makes me feel a bit more comfortable.

8/23/2005 07:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home